How to convert Sports Betting offers with ExoClick
Football fever is here! With the UEFA Europa League final just around the corner on 31 May and the UEFA Champions League final on 10 June, now is the time to get your campaigns set up on ExoClick to promote your sports betting offers. Even though many sports events are local to certain countries, they have a global opportunity to generate interest from billions of betters, all over the world. Advertisers promoting Sports Betting offers have global business opportunities to generate conversions and revenues. So in this blog post we look at the top 5 markets for Sports Betting, the differences between Tier 1, 2 and 3 GEOs (see our appendix at the bottom of this article for a full list of countries) for network Sports Betting ad format CTRs, device volumes and insights to get you maximum exposure for your Sports Betting offers. We hope this article helps you discover how to convert Sports Betting offers with ExoClick.
Top 5 markets for Sports Betting
As a quick overview here are the top 5 markets for Sports Betting globally:
- United States: The legalization of sports betting in several states has significantly boosted the market value. With a large population and a strong sports culture, the United States has the potential to become the world’s largest sports betting market.
- United Kingdom: The UK has a well-established and regulated sports betting market. The popularity of sports like football, horse racing, and cricket contributes to its significant market value.
- China: Sports betting has been growing rapidly in China, primarily due to the popularity of sports such as football and basketball. However, it’s important to note that the Chinese government has strict regulations on gambling, and legal betting options are limited.
- Australia: Australians have a strong affinity for sports, and sports betting is deeply ingrained in the culture. The country has a well-developed market with a wide range of betting options, particularly for sports like Australian rules football, rugby, cricket, and horse racing.
- Europe: The European market for sports betting is quite extensive, with several countries having a long history of gambling. The availability of online betting platforms and the popularity of sports like football, tennis, and basketball contribute to its significant market value.
Sports Betting and Tier 1 GEOs
These are the most desirable countries advertisers want to advertise in, they are the wealthiest nations with the highest levels of disposable income. These GEOs are very competitive and are heavily targeted by advertisers. Tier 1 countries include rich English speaking GEOs such as the USA, UK and Australia. So while creating ads and landing pages is easy to achieve in one language, and offer payouts are high, your ROI might not be so profitable due to very high competition and expensive bidding prices. For this reason, advertisers tend to shy away from using more expensive video formats for advertising and concentrate on display ads, Native and Push Notifications. Lets look at the Sports Betting ad format CTRs for Tier 1:
Tier 1 Insights for Sports Betting Offers
Here are some insights on how to convert Sports Betting offers in Tier 1 countries:
- ExoClick’s Tier 1 impressions volumes for Sports Betting offers show 18.57% are on desktop and a massive 81.43% are served on mobile. Set up separate desktop and mobile campaigns.
- Push Notifications have the highest CTR in Tier 1 countries for Sports Betting offers. They are perfectly targeted to end users when targeted at Sports News sites or sites with dedicated Sports sections. They work extremely well on mobile and desktop, so test our this high CTR format.
- Mobile is king in Tier 1 countries with end users using mobile devices to check sports results, news and place bets. For all ad formats popular with Sports Betting advertisers Mobile generates a higher CTR, so definitely target mobile devices. We recommend that you set up separate campaigns for iOS and Android devices.
Sports Betting and Tier 2 GEOs
Tier 2 GEOs are countries with medium wealth and a lower level of disposable income. However some Tier 2 countries like China and the football obsessed LATAM markets have very high populations, giving advertisers access to more volumes in order to scale up campaigns.Lets look at the Sports Betting ad format CTRs for Tier 2:
Tier 2 Insights for Sports Betting Offers
Here are some insights on how to convert Sports Betting offers in Tier 2 countries:
- ExoClick’s Tier 2 impressions volumes for Sports Betting offers show 6.71% are on desktop and 93.28% are served on mobile. It is still worth targeting desktop as well as mobile here, so set up separate campaigns.
- Video ad formats are very popular for reaching Tier 2 end users with Sports Betting offers, with Instream video and Video Slider performing particularly well on mobile devices. Video gives advertisers an opportunity to really engage with end users by showing entertaining video ads in order to drive clicks. Short video content is massive in countries like China, that’s where TikTok came from, so video ad formats are a great way to get your message across.
- Large format ads get high CTRs across both devices in Tier 2. We are talking about the Fullpage Interstitial getting 1% CTR on both devices. This is no surprise because an almost full screen ad that allows both video and static images within the ad creative is super impactful, especially on a smaller screen size like mobile.
Sports Betting and Tier 3 GEOs
With Tier 1 GEOs being so competitive and if you are less experienced in promoting Sports Betting offers, targeting less expensive Tier 3 GEOs is a great option. This segment includes the most populous country in the world – India giving advertisers access to more volumes in order to scale up campaigns. Lets look at the Sports Betting ad format CTRs for Tier 3:
Tier 3 Insights for Sports Betting Offers
Here are some insights on how to convert Sports Betting offers in Tier 3 countries:
- ExoClick’s Tier 3 impressions volumes for Sports Betting offers show 2.43% are on desktop and 97.07% are served on mobile. The majority of Tier 3 countries use only mobile to connect to the internet therefore campaigns should be targeted at mobile for maximum ROI.
- Video ad formats are very popular for reaching Tier 3 end users with Sports Betting offers, with Instream video and Video Slider perform, again, like Tier 2 GEO China, short form video content is massive in India, with many Indian alternatives to TikTok and Instagram being hugely popular with Indian mobile users. Therefore video ads perform extremely well.
- Banners and Native perform as well as Tier 1 GEOs in Tier 3 countries. There are large volumes of these formats and they are inexpensive to bid on, but still bring a good CTR for Sports Betting offers.
People love sports, they are great for uniting large groups of people supporting their favorite teams. People love to debate football matches and guess who will win and by how many goals, therefore people also love to bet on various possible outcomes. This is tied in with enjoying the match a person bets on and also the chance of winning money from your bet, sometimes the winnings can be life changing for the winning person. As you can see from the Tier differences and the top 5 markets for Sports Betting, Sports Betting campaigns can be highly profitable.
Sports events and not just Football, are hugely popular and to help you plan future campaigns here is the 2023 Sports Calendar containing some of the most popular sporting events. Also check out our Sports Betting tips for Football by reading our World Cup 2022 blog post, it is packed with creative and campaign ideas to promote ‘Football specific’ Sports Betting offers.
Appendix Tier 1,2 and 3 Countries list
Tier 1 Countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States of America.
Tier 2 Countries: Andorra, Argentina, Bahamas, Belarus, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, Estonia, Fiji, Greece, Guyana, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Israel, Japan, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Macao, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Montenegro, Morocco, Nepal, Oman, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Qatar, Republic of Korea (South), Romania, Russian Federation, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Uruguay, Vanuatu.
Tier 3 Countries: Albania, Algeria, Angola, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belize, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Chad, Comoros, Congo, El Salvador, Ethiopia, Gabon, Georgia, Guatemala, Guinea, Haiti, Honduras, India, Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Lesotho, Macedonia, Madagascar, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Moldova, Mongolia, Mozambique, Namibia, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Pakistan, Senegal, Sri Lanka, Suriname, Swaziland, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Togo, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkmenistan, Uganda, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Zambia.